New to the Labour Party
Here are some ways to get involved:
• Attend a meeting and find out what is going on. You might want to get involved in fund raising or organising a party event. Branch meetings are held each month or you can attend a general constituency party meeting – these are usually held at the Community Centre in Hexham. You should receive notice of both branch and constituency meetings.
View the events calendar.
• Join us at one of our campaign street stalls. They are held in various places around the constituency usually on a Saturday morning. During last year’s election campaign we held stalls across the constituency from Ponteland to Haltwhistle - including Hexham, Wylam, Prudhoe, Bellingham and Allendale. Outside of election time we run stalls on different themes such as health, education or housing. Helping out on a street stall is a good way to get to meet other Labour party members. Staffing a street stall usually entails distributing leaflets to members of the public and helping them to sign petitions or asking them to provide their names and addresses for further contact. Don’t feel that you need to be an expert in Labour policy on health, housing or whatever - just being there to listen to and talk with the public is enough. If you would like to help please contact Penny Grennan - email@example.com
• If you would like to get involved with our social media campaign, perhaps by passing on emails, texts or other messages to friends and social groups or by creating your own social media campaigns you need to talk to Tony Pierre. People with specific skills in social media area are particularly welcome, but if you’d simply like to know more or perhaps learn some new skills contact Tony – firstname.lastname@example.org
• You might prefer to help out with leafleting in your area, join a team of canvassers or get involved in telephone canvassing by contacting Penny Grennan - email@example.com
• If you’d like to have an informal chat, you can meet a local party member at Caffe Nero in Front Street, Hexham between 11 and 12 on most Saturday mornings.
To find out more about getting involved locally please view the Branch pages or contact one of the following people who will be able to provide further information:
- Hexham – Penny Grennan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bywell (Wylam, Horsley, Ovingham, Ovington & Bywell) – Tony Pierre: email@example.com
- Prudhoe & District – Brian Singer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allen Valleys – John Hill and Craig Atkinson: email@example.com
- Ponteland & Heddon on the Wall – Simon Railton: firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about how the Labour Party is organised locally, regionally and nationally, view our political education pack. You will be able to access information about the national executive committee and its members, Labour Party policy and a brief history of the party. In addition we offer further information about the Constituency Labour Party and its committees, Northumberland County Council and Labour North.
Why join the Labour Party?
Hello I’m Nicola – a 42 year old, married, mother of two children, living in Corbridge. Self employed and with a degree in the social sciences. I joined the Labour Party a year ago and would like to share my thoughts on why it’s important to become a member, what you can get out of membership and what you can contribute. Read more >>